ART and IVF is a wonderful tool which offers hope to prospective parents when other options have been exhausted, however it is also physically, emotionally and financially draining, and the chances of a positive outcome can be sometimes be heartbreakingly low.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) (particularly Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs) can be used to support ART and IVF procedures and improve the chances of a viable pregnancy in a number of ways. TCM can:
- improve the function of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs
- regulate the hormones to produce a larger number of follicles
- increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- assist in lowering stress levels
- prevent the uterine contractions that may expel precious embryos
- lessen the side effects of drugs used in ART and IVF procedures
- strengthen the immune system
- improve semen to create better quality and quantity of embryos in IVF
- decrease chances of miscarriage
Current studies show that the addition of Acupuncture to IVF procedures on the day of an embryo transfer significantly increases the chances of a successful implantation for those given a pregnancy chance of 35% or less, whereas for people given a 50-60% chance of a successful procedure it may not offer as much benefit. It does however, work to decrease stress, regulate hormones and improve general health and well being, making TCM a valuable adjunctive therapy for anyone going the IVF route.